Saturday, January 3, 2015

Books of 2014

I read 11 books in 2014. That's not a ton, but not too bad either for this season of life! Here's a quick synopsis and review of them.


I read four books to prepare for childbirth. I wanted to deliver without medication, so I wanted to prepare myself as much as possible. Having more information makes me feel more in control, and reading these books really gave me some great tools for managing labor!
-Ina May's Guide to Childbirth: This is totally a hippie book, but it was immensely helpful. The whole attitude encouraged by the author was so right, and I used some of the techniques and suggestions.
-HypnoBirthing: I admit to skimming a lot in this book because I read it just a few days before my due date and needed to get to the practical suggestions. I feel like this book was really invaluable just for the suggested breathing technique (both in and out through the nose). It made a huge difference for me.
-Natural Hospital Birth: This book takes a less "crunchy" perspective to natural childbirth. It doesn't communicate disdain for hospitals like some of the other books I read. I think it was an encouraging and realistic book.
-The Best Pregnancy Ever: I didn't love this book. It just didn't resonate with me.


Allegiant is the last book in the Divergent trilogy by Veronica Roth. I loved the first book, the second book was alright, and the third book was SO disappointing. I hate it when a series does that. What a letdown!






The Ocean at the End of the Lane: Short and definitely not sweet. This story was weird and definitely not a fun read, but it was good. Certainly worth reading, but not something I'll want to read again.





Bossypants: Tina Fey read her own autobiography in the audio book format, and Nathan and I listened to it on vacation. It was funny at times, interesting to read, and too preachy for my taste at others. I guess I didn't expect an autobiography to have an agenda, but I guess you're allowed to do that in your own life story ;) As always, Tina Fey is witty and entertaining in this book.

 
The Lies of Locke Lamora: This is a cool heist story in a fantasy setting. We also listened to this audio book on vacation (the guy who read it was great). I honestly don't remember everything about this story, but oh, the swearing. Sooo much swearing. I liked this book, but if profanity bothers you, skip this one!




The Slow Regard of Silent Things: This is a novella that is an offshoot of Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles (The Name of the Wind). It chronicles a week in the life of Auri, the quite-probably-crazy waif who lives in the Underthing. I loooooved this book. Nathan read it to me aloud.



Mistborn (books 1 and 2): Nathan recommended these to me and I love them so far! I just started book three. The writing in these fantasy books is great... they're hard to put down!


I'm hoping to read 15 books in 2015... I'm on a roll right now, so I hope I can keep it up!

No comments: