Saturday, August 2, 2008

Nostolgia

As of the moment, I am sitting in the bed of Andrew's younger brother in the town that I spent the majority of my life. The little town with little dreams - Norwalk, Ohio. I'm here because Andrew asked me to come with him, and as my wife, Rachel, is currently in another place I used to call home (Louisville, Kentucky) I didn't see the harm in visiting the old stomping grounds.

Last night, at around 11 o'clock, Andrew, Steve, Levi, Jake and I went to a pier in Huron to watch a storm roll in. On the way here Andrew and watched as lightning jumped from cloud to cloud, flashing silhoettes of a shifting mother-of-pearl sky. It was beautiful beyond description and it was at the point that we decided that we would visit the pier and watch God's fireworks from an unimpeded vantage point.

The pier itself is probably a half of a mile hike from one end to the other and once your're out there, standing on the rocks in front of a suspiciously dark lighthouse the only things you can see are blackness and the lights the dot the horizon, Cedar Point the left and some smoking factories to the right. We sat down and watches as electricity cracked it fingers above our heads, trailing across the sky like spider silk. We only started walking back once the rain begain to drop lightly. By the time we made it back to the other end of the pier it was a torrential downpour and most of us were soaked to the skin.

Except Levi.

Levi wanted nothing to do with sitting right beside a huge lightning rod in the middle of an elecrical storm and had gone back to the car, here he played electronic Yatzee.

It was the kind of experience that makes you realize the awesomeness of the world we live in. Lightning is something that I've always loved to watch with a kind of inspired disbelief, because it's something I wouldn't believe in if I didn't see it for myself. Watching it, I feel as though I'm in some kind of fantasitic fantasy novel where anything can happen, anything. Electricity dancing in the sky! Imagine! It makes me feel like a kid again, full of wonder and imagination.

I can't help but look up and see God.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad the lightening didn't hit you or you would have seen God face to face! His creations are awesome and unbelievable! Keep your "child-like" views and you will never grow old.