Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Falling Behind!


Sorry, I realized I haven't been posting on here and you're probably all hoping for more pictures of the oh-so-adorable Orion! So here you go: some recent pictures of the little guy.


We've started using his swing, and it's been super helpful. It keeps him calm and distracted long enough for him to forget about wanting to eat for an hour or two... which I'm very grateful for! It's been a lifesaver the last couple nights.

Bonding with Buddy.

He loves his papa.


We're all doing pretty well. We had a couple really rough nights this week where none of us really got any sleep, but last night was much much better. He "only" woke up to eat once every 2.5-3 hours and didn't do all that much fussing in between. Nathan and I both woke up feeling good this morning, which was a major improvement from the last two days. We'll just keep praying for more relatively good nights!!

A few things I've learned so far...

-A pacifier is, as my dad would say, a "good tool." I was kind of anti-pacifier before Orion was born, but the boy has such a crazy sucking reflex that it's kind of essential. It really does pacify him... because I really can't feed him every ten minutes as he would like me to.

-Babies' skin peels/flakes a few days after birth. Freakout (and lotion) not necessary.

-The swing and bouncer are awesome. We use the bouncer to occupy him while we eat and have the swing in our living room for helping him relax. He's just a very very alert baby, and sometimes we need to just let him sit and chill for a while. It's nice to be able to do that.

-Lanolin creme is essential, especially the first week or two.

-The child loves car rides. And shopping cart rides. We're wishing for a car ride simulator to have at the house to get him to sleep. Because he doesn't do it all that much.

-Old breastmilk stinks. BAD.

-Laundry is now a constant. Especially because of the aforementioned stink.

-The ItzBeen timer is really helpful. I thought it was a silly idea, but my friend Amy got me one after I complained about not being able to remember when I last fed Orion and I love it. It has an alarm that would wake me up every 3 hours when I had to feed him that often right at first, and it keeps track of how long it's been since I fed him which saves me valuable brain cells. I carry it around all the time. Wishing I would have had it the first few days after Orion was born when I was unable to think at all.

-Having a baby in public makes you even more popular than being pregnant.

-Dressing to allow for nursing is just as difficult as dressing for late pregnancy.

-10:30 isn't sleeping in if you were up 4 hours out of the night.

-It pays to be flexible... and you have to learn as you go.


Aaaand... a bonus picture of Charles :)

11 comments:

Melanie said...

It sounds like you are learning a lot and quickly! Thank heaven for pacifiers, bouncers, and swings. We use all 3 liberally! And I haven't had any difficulty weaning them from the paci. Micah & Titus both lost interest in it around 10-11 months. I read in one of my many pregnancy and parenting books that the sucking motion when using a paci actually releases a relaxing hormone in the baby's brain until about 6 months of age.

Also, have you tried swaddling him for sleep? Mine all slept really well when swaddled. You can either do it with a regular receiving blanket or the velcro "Swaddle Me" brand. I prefer the latter. I just stopped using it with Caleb about a month ago when he was 8 months old!

Sorry for such a long comment! I enjoy reading your blog.

Rachel said...

Thanks for the comment! Yes, we swaddle. We started with receiving blankets but switched to the Swaddle Me blankets a few days ago (which we really like!). I have Halo Sleep Sacks for when he's bigger- can't wait til he's in those- they just zip up! I do think swaddling helps... just not enough :P

becca said...

He's so cute! I love the picture of him with the mobile.

I hope he keeps sleeping better and lets you keep getting more and more restful nights.

Amanda said...

I loved this post!... lol.. all your "things I learned so far".. are sooo the things I learned with Jake... must be a first kid thing (obviously).. Jacob slept in his bouncer until 6 MONTHS OLD! HA!... even to the point where we put the bouncer IN his CRIB.. and his legs were totally hanging out.. but hey.. if they sleep?! who cares where they sleep!.. lol.. as mom my told me.. it's not like he's gonna be sleeping in a bouncer when he's 3 years old! He'll eventually grow out of it.. and she was right... haha... Everything Mel wrote is so true... but her kids, and mine are total opposite.. lol.. hers come out sleeping... and lose the paci fast.. mine never slept (except Ben) and Nate STILL has the paci at night.. lol.. and your comment about "its not sleeping in if you were up for 4 hours".. lol.. glad to hear that you've got more sleep though last night. amazing how even 5 hours of sleep will make you feel :) Hope he does good for you tonight! I'm sure you guys are doing a great job.. and he is too cute :)

Amy V said...

How adorable! :)
I love the things you've learned that you listed at the end :) I think it was Geoff that said when he was little sometimes the only way to get him to fall asleep was a car ride!

I'm so glad you love the timer! :) We can't wait to see you guys for new years.

Sadie VK said...

Yay for pictures! He is so cute! And thanks for the tips. I'm getting nervous about the need for Lanolin and the lack of sleep. Haha. Glad you've been able to catch up on some sleep!

Unknown said...

I must be antsy for pictures and updates, had a dream last night I birthed quadruplets! Would've needed the help, I was freakin out! Sounds like you're getting the hang of everything, glad you have lots of friends with helpful comments and tips. Hope everything is going well and keep posting!!! Miss you guys!

Angie said...

It sounds like you guys are doing a great job! I'm glad to hear he is starting to let you guys get some sleep, it can be so rough in the beginning being constantly tired! It looks like you have an adorable little boy - congratulations and way to go :)

Unknown said...

All truisms! Things will soon be better as he gets a few weeks older. We can hardly wait to see him. Um... and you as well! ;)

Amanda said...

Not about this post.... lol.. but he is doing great as baby Jesus :) I LOVE when they use real babies.. and I thought it was so cute that he woke up last night.. and he moved his little arm... you can hear people say.. "oooh.. thats a REAL baby..." "awwww..." :) Good Job Orion! Big shoes to fill for a 3 week old.. lol. :)

Michelle P said...

Love the pics..and your what you learned section. You are gonna be so glad you wrote this down later on, when the first month is a blurr! Ditto on the swaddling blanket. We used a handmade version of the miracle blanket. It was amazing!! As for the nursing clothes...yeah. I haven't worn a dress in like a year. I just weaned Ava this month. It's weird being able to eat things without being worried about how her tummy will handle it.Hope you all get some sleep tonight!!