Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Couch

Today's the day I start working to lose the rest of that baby weight and then some! I've never had to work to lose weight before (I used to be uber skinny... just because I had a crazy metabolism. I weighed about 95 lbs when I started college), so this is a challenge. The plan is to do the Couch-to-5K Running Program. I keep hearing about how great it is, so here's hoping. I have NEVER been a runner but always wanted to try it. I hope I hope I hope I can!

I got up around 165 lbs at the end of my pregnancy, and 25 of that fell off in the first two weeks after Orion was born. That leaves me around 10 lbs to lose to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight and 15 more to get to my healthy weight. Plus I really just need to get into shape.

Here are the stats:
Current weight: 140
Goal weight: 115
Weight lost: 0
Pounds left 'til goal: 25

Wish me luck!!

*Update*

Couch-to-5K Day 1

I just finished the first day, and I am a bit embarrassed to admit that it was hard!! I had to alternately jog 60 seconds and walk 90 seconds for a total of 20 minutes. Ouch! I feel like an old person when I'm jogging. I'm sure it'll get easier... at least I hope so! I went 1 1/4 miles today :)

While I'm out tomorrow I think I may treat myself to some fancy-pants workout clothes to encourage myself. I can do it! 3 miles, here I come!

9 comments:

Amy V said...

Good luck! :)
Can't wait to hear about your progress!

Katie said...

i actually thought the first week was the most difficult - i just think it took me a little while to get used to the running part :-) i think that i also repeated one of the weeks in the middle just because i wasn't in any hurry and i didn't feel like i was ready to move on to the next week.

now we work out at a rec center so i haven't been keeping up with the 5k distance - instead we run a mile at the beginning of our workout and then do a different type of cardio at the end. i'd like to get back to running 2 or 3 miles outside though once the weather is nicer!

Sadie VK said...

Way to go, Idaho! I know exactly what you mean about never having to work to lose weight and I'm realllly nervous about that. Although I totally hope 25 pounds falls off me after Lucy's born!

I'm interested to see how this works for you. I've always wanted to try it, too. Where do you run? Do you have a treadmill?

Michelle P said...

Ok, I NEVER thought I'd say this, but I started jogging about 2 1/2 months ago, and i LOVE it!! I started just walk, then jog, walk, then jog for about 25 minutes. Now, I do a warm up walk and a cool down walk and the rest is jogging :) It's great to have some time alone and just not think for a while. Good luck!!

Amanda said...

Just like we were prego together.. now we can get skinny together :) lol.. I'm posting my weight to.. and tomorrow is weigh in.. I actually think I DID lose.. we'll see.. But I was gonna tell you.. I were you go on Wednesdays...youth?
or service?.. but the weight loss class with Kathy O'Bradovic started last night.. I've been in it once after Nate... and lost 23 pounds... it's really good.. she teaches tips,and nutrition facts.. but also the biblical principles that go along with it.. and you weigh in, chart your weight loss... she gives you a folder with a BMI chart.. and a measurement chart... just letting ya know if you wanted some accountability... its not too late to start... cause there has only been one class... Phew... long comment!.. Good Luck! I would looooove to totally work up to running too!..

rachel said...

Good luck!! Once you can do one mile, everything after that is cake. I slacked off over the summer because it was way too hot, but once I could do 2K, it wasn't much more effort to do 5. And even if you have to take walk breaks, it's still exercise!

Rachel said...

Thanks everybody!

Sadie: We have a treadmill... otherwise there's no way I'd be running right now! I'm looking forward to being able to run outside in the spring... when I'll actually be able to run! :)

Amanda: We go to the youth service, but maybe I'll come to the weight loss class so we can do it together. I went to it once too. Only lost a few pounds but didn't try very hard. Hmm...

Unknown said...

If I can do it.... :) Do you have a 5k race you're planning for? That really helped to motivate me. My only goal for the race was to finish without walking. And like someone else commented, it really does become enjoyable! (esp outside in nice weather, along neat paths, etc.) You'll be getting lots of encouragement with these posts!

Rachel said...

I just started researching races and there are several around here in April and May. My sister-in-law Allie wants to run one with me (she's the one who ran a marathon in October). I'm afraid I won't be able to do it!! It's hard to think positive when I have to struggle to run one minute at a time. Haha!

The encouragement from everyone REALLY helps :)