Monday, September 5, 2011

Leprosy 2011

Alright, let's start off with a cute, happy picture, because I don't want the rest of these pics stuck at the top of my page until I post again :P I can't believe how grown-up Orion is looking!! I guess I shouldn't have cut all his hair off!

And in cute, happy news, Nathan and I finally got to go on a date for the first time since Desmond was born! We got Chipotle, ate it at a pretty park, took a nice leisurely walk, got an amazing Raspberry Killer Brownie at Dorothy Lane Market, and came home in time to feed Des. It was way too short, but we had a really nice time :)


So. I have been pretty sick the last couple weeks. It's really quite an epic saga. Over the past month or so I've had around seven canker sores. I had what I thought was a cold a couple weeks ago, then I felt fine for a couple days (during which I ran a mile! Woohoo!!). Last Sunday I felt just plan crappy all day... baaaad sinus headaches, dizziness, shooting pains through the outsides of my ears (??), tiredness... then that night I had a fever and was freezing til it broke during the night. The next day I got a sore throat which kept getting worse throughout the week. During the night Thursday night I woke up covered in hives. My eyelids were also extremely puffy. Friday morning the hives went away but I felt totally wiped out and my throat was killing me. I finally decided to go to the doctor.

Turns out I had some kind of virus that had caused some kind of infection in my throat, so I got some antibiotics. My throat is finally starting to feel better but is still pretty raw.

Not. Happy.

That leaves the hives. I hate hives. A lot. I occasionally have a break-out for completely unknown reasons (which I've read is pretty typical. Something like 70% of cases of hives are from unknown causes). Since Thursday night they have come back every evening and faded in the morning. Today they never really went away, and tonight they are AWFUL. They are absolutely everywhere and the itching is driving me crazy. I wanted to avoid taking Benadryl because it can affect my milk supply, but tonight I gave in and took one. So far it doesn't seem to be helping.


If you think of me please pray that the hives go away and stay away. I am going to call an allergist tomorrow and make an appointment to get tested to see what I'm allergic to. The hives may not be an allergic reaction (you can get them from a virus, stress, whatever), but I would like to at least TRY to avoid things that could make me sick, so I need to know what those things are.

Well thanks for looking at my nasty diseased skin. Uhhhhgh :/

6 comments:

Sadie VK said...

Orion looks like he's 5 years old in that picture!!

I'm so sorry about your leprosy! Itchiness is the WORST thing ever!!! I really hope the allergist can find something so you can avoid it and be itch-free for life!

One thing that helped my PUPPS a little bit was Sarna lotion. I've also heard vinegar is good for itching? Haven't tried that one myself.

Melanie said...

Bummer! Sorry you have been feeling so bad. I'm not sure if I have ever told you my "hive history" :) I got hives a lot in college for no discernible reason. Then they returned again when I was pregnant & post partum with Micah, and again with Titus, and again with Caleb, but not this time! Not sure why I haven't got them this time, but I am thankful. I saw a dermatologist during my first pregnancy with no real luck. My OB is actually the one who discovered the apparent cause of my hives. He did blood work and found that I had an elevated strep titer...not an active strep infection but more like a carrier. Still not sure what that really means but it has to do with antibodies and antigens and all that jazz. And the hives appeared to be the manifestation of the elevated strep titer when my immune system was compromised, such as when I was sleep deprived in college, or pregnant, or post partum/nursing. He just treated me with antihistamines which helped. Fortunately I usually only broke out in hives at night or times when I was really warm. So I only had to take the medicine at bedtime preventing me from being sleepy during the day. Not sure if this is similar to your situation or not, but thought I'd share :)

rachel house said...

You poor dear! I hope that all of the nasty happening to you gets all cleared up soon!!

Katie said...

i hope that you feel better soon, being sick is no fun!

Unknown said...

I feel so bad for you! Wish there was something I could do. Hope the hives go away very soon!

Amanda said...

Rachel!!! Bless your heart!!! I thought you weren't there Sunday because Orion was sick.. Not you! Wow. I'm so sorry! 2 weeks is a long time! :( I've never had hives, but I would go nuts. For a weird reason, I hate "patterns" on skin.. I had poison ivy once, and the little bumps freaked me out because they were clumped and in lines and stuff.. I know, weird. ;) I also hate the spores on the bottom of fern leaves. Ahhh! They scare me to death! Ok. I'm retarded. Lol. And this is not related to your sickness. But maybe it made you smile :) hope you start feeling better soon!!!