Monday, October 31, 2011

Desmond - 4 months old

Desmond turned 4 months old yesterday! I can't believe how big he is already... I feel like Orion's first four months went MUCH more slowly! Poor second child.

Here are the stats:
Length: I don't know! It's not on my sheet! (But 25th percentile ish)
Weight: 11.8 lbs (<5th percentile)
Head: 15.94 in (10th percentile)

Sooo. Yeah. His weight dropped on the growth chart quite a bit. Sound familiar? It does to me! Orion had weight issues too, except he was below the growth chart by 2 months. He weighed 11 lbs 1 oz when he was 4 moths, so Des is a little bigger but not much!

The doctor recommended that we start supplementing with formula, but Desmond won't drink it!! He's had bottles before so that's not the issue; I think he just doesn't like the taste of the formula! So that's not working.

BUT, the more I read, the more I think the the drop in rate of growth is normal. Apparently not only are breastfed babies lighter than formula fed babies (in general), but they also slow down in weight gain after 3 months. Hm. On charts based only on breastfed babies Des is almost 10th percentile. I believe the charts my doctor's office uses are based on both formula and breast fed babies.

All that is to say, I'm trying not to worry about it and keep doing what I'm doing and we'll see how his weight is doing in a month. Since he won't drink formula anyway there's not much I can do :P




He's gotten a lot more active lately. He likes to roll onto his sides and scooch around in circles on the floor.

He also drools all the time. Nice.

Sleep has been not so fabulous lately... he has been getting up every couple hours at night to eat. I was kind of looking forward to giving him a bottle of formula before bed in hope that he would sleep longer, but obviously that's not going as planned.

However, he randomly slept for TWELVE HOURS STRAIGHT the other night. What?! Unfortunately it was just a fluke. Just weird.

Most days he naps well during the day, still in a pattern of get up and eat, stay up for about an hour, then nap for about an hour. With some variances of course. But it's nice to have a baby with a fairly consistent schedule and who doesn't require constant attention.

Overall he's still his happy, healthy, smiley self. He's best friends with everyone he meets :)

5 comments:

Sadie VK said...

You and your skinny little boys! Haha. I wouldn't worry too much about supplementing either. Have you thought about starting him on solids soon? That might get some more calories in him and he might like it better than formula?

He's a cutie-pie! I think he looks just like O. :-)

EllaJac said...

If everything else is good (he's developing cognitively, breathing/eating ok, etc), I wouldn't worry yet either...

All my girls were off the (top of the) charts. My fastest grower went from 8lbs to 16 lbs in her first 10 weeks.

At least you can still carry your baby. :D

Lizzy said...

He's adorable! And is it just me or the shirt but does his hair look red in that first picture?? Glad he's a smiley, good baby. :)

Wendy Min said...

For a moment I thought you wrote that Des was 15.9 inches in length. When I told Cameron he said that could not be right. When I thought it about it, I realized...that cannot be right. :)

Unknown said...

Great post with great photos and video. Des is a busy boy who obviously is delighted to see his Mommy!