Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Books of 2012

I used to be a ravenous reader (imagine that... an English major who likes to read), always reading for fun on top of any reading I had to do for school. Sometime after my sophomore year of college, something changed and I quit reading extracurricularly. I think I just got burnt out or something. I'd only read a couple books a year in the time since I graduated college (2007!).  Thankfully, sometime at the end of 2011, I regained my hunger for books! I didn't read much at the beginning of 2012, but picked up again this summer and I ended up reading 15 books this year!  That doesn't include the Bible studies I did this year or the picture books I read to my children... otherwise I read about a hundred ;)

I mostly read Tedd Dekker books this year. Once I find something I like I tend to keep reading it til there's nothing left.  If you don't know, Tedd Dekker is a Christian writer who mostly writes thrillers. Some are pretty intense or scary... page-turners for sure!   I'd read a couple Dekker books before and there are still more to read, but these are the ones I got through this year (most of them are connected):


Skin- Sort of a supernatural "who done it" story... and I can't remember who done it :P
Thr3e- Probably my favorite Dekker book this year- what a twist!
House- Weird and creepy!!
Showdown- A really interesting idea and immersive story.
Saint- Good sequel to Showdown.
Sinner- I had a harder time getting into this one so it took me forever to finish.
Forbidden (audio book)- Really interesting premise. I'm looking forward to the sequels.
 
Divergent (Veronica Roth)- Set in a post-apocalyptic world. I really enjoyed it a lot. Sort of the same vein as The Hunger Games.
Insurgent (Veronica Roth)- Not AS good as the first, but still enjoyable. Excited for the third book!


Ready Player One (audio book) (Earnest Cline)- This is probably my favorite book of the year.  It's FULL of nerd references and pop culture (of the 1980's). Another post-apocalyptic type setting.  It was just so much fun to read (or listen to!).

Life of Pi (audio book) (Yann Martel)- A re-read for me. I have to say that I didn't enjoy it the second time as much as I did the first, but it was still good. Just slow to get started. The ending of this book is the best part.

The Great Gatsby (F. Scott Fitzgerald)- Another re-read so I could discuss it with some friends. It's a really good/ well-written book, but SO tragic and none of the characters are very likeable.

On a Pale Horse (Anthony Piers)- This was really interesting! Set in a world where science and magic exist side by side.  A lot to do with death. The author/story has a really wonky view of the supernatural!  I found the ending anticlimactic, but I'm interested in reading the other books in the series.

Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card)- Another re-read. I Looove this book. It's pretty extreme/brutal/emotional sometimes, but an amazing story and wonderful writing. I'm currently reading the rest of the series.


It was a good year for reading! I'm looking forward to the books this year has in store for me :) One and a half done already!

Follow me on Goodreads if you want to be my lit buddy :)
Post a Comment