Sunday, August 26, 2007

KFC

I just thought you should all know that we have perfected the art that is fried chicken. I've never had much luck with it before... it usually turns out mushy and bland. But that is no more! Behold, the fried chicken masterpiece:

Here's what we did. I wanted to make homemade french fries, and did so with Liz's family recipe for "crunchy potatoes," which involves breading and baking the potato chunks. Then I used the leftover coating mixture to bread the chicken and used the "double breading" technique, meaning you dip the chicken (which I dried as much as possible) in the flour mixture, then in egg, then in the flour again. I used about a half inch of vegetable oil which I heated up but then turned my [gas] stove on medium low heat. Nate did the frying part because I'm a wimp when it comes to scalding grease, and the chicken came out golden, very crispy, and juicy. Lovely! Here's the recipe for the coating (probably modified from Liz's because I made it from memory):

1 cup flour
1/2 cup (or so) grated Parmesan cheese
2ish TBL seasoning salt
lots of pepper

Like my measurements? That should be enough for at least 6 red potatoes (around 4 servings of fries) and a couple chicken breasts (cut into strips).

For the potatoes, spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray, then add about 1/2 cup of melted butter (I just put the butter in the sprayed pan and stick it in the oven until the butter melts). Put the breaded potatoes in the pan, and bake at 425 degrees for 1 hour, mixing/flipping them twice.

You should try this... mmmmmm....

4 comments:

Amy V said...

I might just have to try that. :)

Mom L said...

I'm Impressed ! So beautiful and yummy I'm sure ! In 25 years of marriage I have not perfected the art of fried chicken. Course I did give up after the first year. You have inspired me to give it another try.

Unknown said...

Looks and sounds delicious! Brava!

Anonymous said...

Remember-deep fried things add weight and sticky stuff to ones' heart-heart attack later in life, fat bellies. living proof dad