Sunday, February 10, 2008

Is this for a grade?

I started substitute teaching this week! On Wednesday I got a call at about 8:15 in the morning saying that a teacher had to leave and they needed me to sub. I was in a computer lab most of that day making sure the students didn't talk too loudly. The last two periods (which I originally wasn't going to be there for but got another call) I was a math sub... ha!

Before I left Wednesday I was asked to come in Thursday and Friday as one of two Band subs. So those two days I worked with another sub trying to get the middle school band kids to do boring worksheets. The last couple hours of each day were spent at the high school where the band actually played (directed by exceptional students). I enjoyed that part and have had one of the songs stuck in my head ever since!

I have to say that so far I don't like it. It's unpredictable so I have to get up early early every morning just in case I get a call, but there's no guarantee of one. It's hard being a sub because the students feel that they can get away with a lot more than usual and will push the limits. I don't know the school's normal procedures or anything like that. Pretty much all I can do is try my hardest to get the students to do their work and stay quiet (ha!) amidst a sea of whines and eye-rolls. Not exactly fun.

BUT I now have $240 (ish) that I didn't have before, which is definitely something. We started our taxes today (thanks to a borrowed copy of Turbo Tax!) but can't finish because we're still waiting for a form about interest earned to come :(

I applied for a full-time job as a Veterinary Assistant, which I think I'd really like. I faxed my resume on Thursday, so I'm hoping for a call this week. Nathan has an interview on Tuesday for a job as a caretaker for the elderly. Pray that goes well and he finds work soon!

Nathan is playing his bass at a church event with his buddies Andrew and Shawn at the beginning of March, so he's had a couple practices for that. I've played my guitar a couple times recently- I have missed it. I just bought a song on iTunes so I can remember how it goes and learn to play it again!

Today Nathan and I worked/volunteered for the first time in the nursery at church. We watched 3 little boys in the "creepers" classroom- 1 and 2 year olds. It was pretty fun! Of course they wanted their mommies at some point, and cheesy crackers at several points, but overall they just played and had fun.

That's all I can think of to say right now... sorry! I know I have emails to write to some of you- I'll try to get on that soon!! Goodnight :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you are both very busy!

becca said...

Wow, you have been busy.

Substitute teaching does not sound like an easy job. It should give you some stories to tell though.

I hope the vet assistant job comes through. That sounds like something you might enjoy.

Yay for all the guitar playing. The nursery sounds cute.

Jael Paris said...

*hugs*