Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Refugees

We just had a hurricane in Ohio.

Apparently Hurricane Ike made it all the way over here. On Sunday we had hurricane force winds (Some sources say it was actually a level 1 hurricane) that broke down trees, ripped off roofs, and knocked out the power in most of the Miami Valley. Most of the towns around here are still without power (including our house and church), and don't expect to get it back until the weekend. Our house doesn't even have water because we have a well (I guess the pump can't run without power), so Nathan and I were able to stay with some folks in Lebanon last night and will be staying again tonight so we can have luxuries like showers and flushing toilets. We don't want to impose/overstay our welcome, so we might have to go back to roughing it or else find another place to stay tomorrow night.

Looks like I will also be working full time the rest of this week because the girls' school is without power. Thankfully they have water, although their power is out. They have a generator they're running on and off to keep their cold food from going bad. The rest of us are just going to have an awful lot of spoiled food.

I'm really hoping somehow the power gets fixed sooner than the weekend, but we'll see. I heard the folks that are in charge of fixing such things went down to do hurricane relief work in Texas a few days ago... HA!

4 comments:

Sadie VK said...

No way! That's crazy!! We got a bunch of rain from Ike, but not hurricane force winds or power outages. No power 'til the weekend?? That's rough! I grew up with well water, too, so I know how that no water thing goes. What a pain! I hope the power comes on sooner rather than later. Good luck!

PEZmama said...

I have no idea, NO IDEA how we have power over here. Our went out on Sunday, but was back on by Monday morning.

You are welcome to spend a night (or two, or five) with us. Seriously. We are so blessed to have power, we are more than willing to help anyone who is without it.

PEZmama said...

And, I have two Jane Austen DVDs that aren't due back at the library until next month.

If that's any inducement.

Which it probably isn't.

;-)

Rachel said...

Lori, thank you again SO much for the offer! I have to say that I think a "sleepover" at your house would be fun! I would be more than happy to come over and watch Jane Austen movies with you any time, so just give me a call!!