Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Housing Update

Nathan here, bringing you up to the minute updates on the housing situation.

We just got back from chaperoning a youth retreat and were greeted with some shocking and disturbing news. Apparently, the house we had our eye on was, in fact, something like the contestents of a vapid reality dating show. Pretty at a cursory glance, but rotten to the core.

We had an inspector from the church go and check it out for us. This is what he does for a living, though for us he did it for free (also, any other houses we would want him to look at. Our church family is amazing). He did it on Friday when Rachel and I were trekking toward Confederate territories and he did a bang up job of it. Apparently it would take about $10,000 dollars just to make the house livable. That's just for the materials.

This is why we wanted the house to be checked out by someone who knew what they were looking at.

This information, coupled with a few other factors (including, but not limited to the $1800 dollars a year for taxes and the fact that it is basically in the neighbor's front yard) has effectively driven us to drag a thick black sharpie across its spot on the list. Things usually are too good to be true.

This is Nathan, signing off.

6 comments:

Katie said...

oh-no! i'm sorry that the house didn't work out, but it's a good thing you got it inspected now! that's great that you have someone that you can trust to do the inspections for you. good luck with the continued search :-)

Rachel said...

Oh Nathan, always so dramatic... ;)

Yeah, it's a bummer that it didn't work out, but it's ok. I think being away and very busy when we got the "bad news" softened the blow. I'm sure something great will come up- I just need to be patient.

Sadie VK said...

Bummer! I'm glad you're not totally torn up about it, though. You're right. Something else will come along. I need to keep reminding myself of that too . . .

becca said...

That's a bummer. I'm glad you had it looked at, though. It's nice to know a housing inspector.

I hope the continued search goes better.

PEZmama said...

Well, I know that is disappointing, but I'm so glad you found out the truth about the house. That would have been so much expense.

Hope you guys had a good trip. And I hope you get back on the house hunt soon...

Love you both!

Rachel said...

PEZmama, my realtor emailed me a house on Pagett, so we could totally be neighbors kinda...