Sunday, March 1, 2009

In a Jiffy!

Nathan surprised me on Friday with a couple spontaneous gifts! He gave me a beautiful orchid plant (which I'll have to take a picture of to show you) and a Jiffy seed starter kit with some seeds! He had noticed I was getting back on a gardening kick and wanted to give me the tools to get started :) I lucked out because a few plants are supposed to be started really early (tomatoes 8-10 weeks before last frost), so I get to start planting!

This image was swiped from Google images... mine looks just like this but that's not my kitchen ;)

Jiffy peat pellets are so cool- you add water and they grow from hard, flat little pellets to tall, soft columns of soil within a couple minutes! Fun stuff.

Last night I planted Beefsteak tomatoes, Roma tomatoes, bell peppers, watermelon, sweet basil, and marigolds. I keep reading that marigolds are great at keeping pests away, so I'm going to scatter a ton of them all over the garden this year.

We weren't sure what to do for light for our little seeds, so I did some research and found this, which is super sweet, but is toooo expensive!! We found a grow light at Wal Mart last night for ten bucks... that's more my speed :) Of course Nathan had to rig it to the desk hutch with fishing line for it to be usable, but hey, that's our speed too. He did a really good job and it doesn't even look that ghetto.

I was trying to come out with a layout for the garden today, and according to my sloppy calculations my garden needs to be much bigger to accomidate everything I want to plant. I asked for this book for my birthday though, so I think I'll wait til that comes and attempt to plant my garden more efficiently ;)

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to say that we found some onions growing in the garden today! How weird is that?? They're exactly where I planted them last year (and where they died) and are big and green. I wonder how big the bulbs are!
Post a Comment