Sunday, March 1, 2009

In a Jiffy!

Nathan surprised me on Friday with a couple spontaneous gifts! He gave me a beautiful orchid plant (which I'll have to take a picture of to show you) and a Jiffy seed starter kit with some seeds! He had noticed I was getting back on a gardening kick and wanted to give me the tools to get started :) I lucked out because a few plants are supposed to be started really early (tomatoes 8-10 weeks before last frost), so I get to start planting!

This image was swiped from Google images... mine looks just like this but that's not my kitchen ;)

Jiffy peat pellets are so cool- you add water and they grow from hard, flat little pellets to tall, soft columns of soil within a couple minutes! Fun stuff.

Last night I planted Beefsteak tomatoes, Roma tomatoes, bell peppers, watermelon, sweet basil, and marigolds. I keep reading that marigolds are great at keeping pests away, so I'm going to scatter a ton of them all over the garden this year.

We weren't sure what to do for light for our little seeds, so I did some research and found this, which is super sweet, but is toooo expensive!! We found a grow light at Wal Mart last night for ten bucks... that's more my speed :) Of course Nathan had to rig it to the desk hutch with fishing line for it to be usable, but hey, that's our speed too. He did a really good job and it doesn't even look that ghetto.

I was trying to come out with a layout for the garden today, and according to my sloppy calculations my garden needs to be much bigger to accomidate everything I want to plant. I asked for this book for my birthday though, so I think I'll wait til that comes and attempt to plant my garden more efficiently ;)

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to say that we found some onions growing in the garden today! How weird is that?? They're exactly where I planted them last year (and where they died) and are big and green. I wonder how big the bulbs are!

4 comments:

becca said...

That starter kit sounds cool. I'm want to visit when some of these veggies are grown and ripe so I can taste your garden.

PEZmama said...

Heya. I noticed that book is about organic gardening. Are you going organic? You know there is someone at our church, whose name I will not post here, but he is a master organic gardener. And another lady (that you probably know about) who, though not organic, pulls in some rockin' crops every year. They'd be great people to get ideas from.

If you are doing the organic thing, I have a book called "Four Season Harvest" that I've really learned a lot from as well... and if you read it, you will not be so surprised that you still have onions growing in your garden. We live in a zone where more winter gardening is possible than most people think... I'm fixin' to try a few things this winter myself.

We need to chat garden. Maybe we can exchange some seeds after the season too!

PEZmama said...

Well, come to think of it. We just need to chat, period.

Rachel said...

I guess I shouldn't be surprised about the onions... they are bulbs after all.

We went organic last year and all went well except the beans which got attacked by bugs. That's not so terrible! I'd love to borrow that book.

Yes PEZmama, we should chat! Your daughter keeps asking me to come over anyway ;)