Friday, November 6, 2009

Orion's Place


Orion's room is finished!! We painted Tuesday-Thursday, and arranged and decorated the nursery last night. I am SO excited and relieved to have it done. Well, actually, it's not done... there's no door. Haha! Anyway, here it is. I got the wall letters at Hobby Lobby- I love the font. I ordered the crib mobile but it hasn't arrived yet. I'll post more pictures when we get it :)

Sorry about the funky lighting in these pictures... I took some last night and some today and attempted to make everything look decent... this is the drawback of being underground!

The changing table, which came with the crib. I'm going to see if I can get two more baskets since there's room behind the diaper stacker. I think the changing table is really pretty.

The glider that I re-covered! If I had to do it again I would have chosen a more neutral fabric, but the hippos are very cute. I sewed loops onto the back of the quilt that came with the bedding so we could hang it on the wall (props to Nathan for all the measuring he did to make sure everything we hung on the walls was centered and level :).


There will eventually be a door where there is currently a hole on the far left. I think we're going to hang the maternity pictures that are sitting on the shelf on the wall... we were just too tired to do it last night! The plastic containers by the hamper will eventually be used for cloth diapering purposes, but right now they're homeless.

We really lucked out with all the matching wood. The only pieces that actually belong together are the crib and changing table, but most of the furniture in the room is exactly the same color. The swing will not be living in the nursery, but we had a sad empty corner that needed to be filled ;)

Since we don't have a closet in the nursery we have most of Orion's clothes in the dresser, but rigged up this shelf with a bar so we could hang some things up too! I love how it came out.


Guess who thinks it's his room... this is Charlie's new favorite place to sleep. Oh, kitty.

I'm so excited :)

11 comments:

Katie said...

it is very cute! great idea for the shelf/closet. i like the hippo fabric on the glider, nice and bright. and why is it that cats think that everything that is new is for them? ;-)

Sadie VK said...

It's so precious!! I love that swing - and the hippo fabric on the glider. Adorable! I can't believe there's actually going to be a little baby in there soon!!

Unknown said...

Wow! Looks like a magazine layout! I like seeing those cute clothes hung up. I also like the hippo fabric. Looks like it matches the green in the other bedding. Everything looks so great; much nicer than we ever had for you! lol

Getting excited here as well. We did some shopping today!

Amanda said...

That looks great! I was so excited to log on and see you had pics of the FINISHED room! :) How exciting!... and the shelf/clothes thing is very cute too! Love the colors...love the glider...all of it... yay for boys! Yay for nurserys that are done.. and YAY for 2-3 more weeks...hopefully we will BOTH be holding our babies :)

Rebecca Elves said...

Great job on the room. I seriously love it!! I think it's one of my favorites that I've seen.

Amy V said...

WOW!! :D SO CUTE!!! :) And so close to time :) The shelf clothes hanger is very cute. The glider re-cover job is nice. :)

becca said...

I love the shelf with the clothes hanging below. It's like all his cute little outfits are on display.

The font for the wall letter is perfect! I love it.

I also love the grayish blue with the natural wood. It's not the typical cutesy, baby colors. It actually looks really sophisticated and calming. No wonder Charlie likes to sleep in there. It's a soothing place.

Melanie said...

Looks great!! You guys did a wonderful job! It won't be long until you have a little man in there too, then it will look even better! Cloth diapers?...Wow! You are ambitious! What are your reasons for doing that? Just curious...

Rachel said...

Thanks, I'm so glad you all like it!

Melanie: The biggest reason we're doing cloth diapers is financial. We'll save SO much money that way. We'll still use disposables for when we go out anywhere; we'll just use cloth at home. Also we're not going to start with them right away, mostly because I don't think the cloth diapers we have will fit a newborn! Hopefully it goes ok!!

Amanda said...

Just reading your answer to Mels diaper question.... and yes, you WILL save money on diapers.. but I tell ya what will save you the MOST money?! Is breastfeed as loooong as you can... I need to take my own advice.. (Mels great at it).. but I stopped nursing Jake at 6 weeks.. and he did 2 cans of formula a week!... at 25 bucks a can!... he was 200 a month in formula!!!.... so... keep it up as long as you can!.. :)

Rachel said...

Holy Cow! That's crazy expensive!! I'm definitely planning on breastfeeding a long time. Hope that works out ok!!