Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Baby Wise Day 1 Recap

We've gotten through a day and a night of the Baby Wise program. Yesterday was pretty hard for me. The first couple times I put Orion down for a nap I went in to comfort him every 20 minutes and picked him up and calmed him down, and that would get him to sleep. But then we realized that defeated the whole purpose of letting him cry it out; he needs to learn to comfort himself and fall asleep without my help. So after that we let him cry without picking him up at all for up to an hour each time. We allow ourselves to go in and rub his tummy, give him his pacifier, and say a soothing "it's alright," then leave. Once it took exactly an hour before he gave up, but the other times it didn't take quite that long.

At bed time we swaddled him and laid him down and it only took 10 minutes of crying for him to fall asleep! He slept for an hour, then woke up to eat, then fell asleep immediately. Then awake at 1:30, ate, fell asleep. 4:30 woke up, ate, fell asleep. He woke up crying at 5ish, and I let him cry for a few minutes then did the rub his tummy, paci, "it's ok," and he fell asleep! He slept until 6:30, woke up crying, and I let him cry until a bit after 7 and then got up with him.

He went down for his first nap today at around 8:15 without a fight! I was surprised. He was sleepy but awake but I didn't hear him until around 9. I let him cry until 9:30 since that was meal time. He's about to go down for nap 2 so we'll see how that goes!

I don't think I mentioned that he's doing all this sleeping in his crib! I really want to get him out of the swing because that's just going to be a hard habit to break if we don't get him out of it soon. Plus I'm sick of buying batteries :P

Weeell... he's a-crying already. Wish us luck!!!

**Update: Wow... it only took him about 10 minutes to go to sleep! Let's hope he's a fast learner and it's going to stick!**

4 comments:

Michelle P said...

Yay, Orion! Keep it up, mommy :) Seriously, the first few days of something new is usually the hardest.

Amanda said...

Awww.. bless your heart :) You're a good mommy, cause I know with your first one, that has to break your heart to hear him crying :( BUT, it will also FILL your heart when he goes down and sleeeeeps for a while!...lol.. Ben has always been a good sleeper... but we are doing the transition thing from the bouncer to the crib bow too.. like you are the swing to the crib... lol... so I totally know what you mean.. and the swaddle blankets are amazing.. Ben without it, will only sleep in his bed 2-3 hours at night without being fed.. but the last 4 nights, he has been tightly swaddled, and slept 10pm-5am in his crib... it definitely helps... sounds like you are on the right track! He already sounds like he's getting the hang of it... :) MAYBE see you tonight.. if I'm not there... tell Kathy that Nate is sick, so I am at home with him...:( Thanks! O yeah, btw... I ordered an elliptical, it came in today! YAY!.. I really do wanna get in shape and try the running thing with you sometime! Maybe in the summer we could try and run outside some.. around the church parking lot?.. with STROLLERS!... haha...

Rachel said...

Thanks for cheering me on!!!

Hahaha Amanda, I can see us running around the church parking lot with our strollers... it's a funny picture :P

Awesome that you got an eliptical machine! I asked Nathan for a stationary bike for my birthday next month :)

Unknown said...

Fingers crossed! You will be glad you're doing this and ultimately Orion should be more content for it!