Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Becoming Baby Wise

So. I just read the book called "Baby Wise." I've heard great things about it and I know one of my former employers used it with great success. It's about establishing good sleeping and eating patterns.

I WISH I would have read it before Orion was born.

As of today I'm attempting to train him to eat every 2 1/2- 3 hours AND fall asleep on his own.

The eating schedule is an attempt to help him gain weight and be more content. He's been eating every hour lately and there's just no good reason for that. The book addresses this issue and suggests he's probably not getting the calorie-rich hind milk and is really just snacking all the time instead of getting full meals. Makes a whole lot of sense to me. Plus I'm really tired of feeding him constantly.

The attempt to get him to fall asleep on his own is proving to be a huge challenge. They say not to rock the baby to sleep or nurse him to sleep, but to put him down when he's sleepy but awake and allow him to cry, comforting him every 15-20 minutes. It's so they can comfort themselves and not rely on a crutch to fall asleep. I did that with my employer's baby, but it's a whole lot different when it's your own baby!! It's so hard to listen to him cry! It's supposed to take a few days to establish a new pattern, but I'm reeeeally hoping it works. I feel really bad about it at the moment (since he's laying in his crib crying as I type this), but if it works it'll be worth it... :(

This all would have been a lot easier if I had started it when he was born instead of almost three months old.

Any of you moms have insight?? Help me out here.

6 comments:

Michelle P said...

Rachel, I LOVE BABYWISE!! It's not for everyone, but I think the principles are great!I just wish I used it with all of my kids! I think you may notice that once Orion starts eating on a better routine/schedule, his sleep will improve. Don't worry, it's not too late to start, and it will be SO worth it! Ava really did well, especially combined with being swaddled. She was sleeping 8 hours at night by about 8 weeks. Please call me if you want to talk a little more in depth! 513-228-2860 :) Good luck!

Rachel said...

Thanks Michelle! That makes me feel better already! I'll call you if I have questions or feel like giving up. Today has been rough with all the crying!!

Melanie said...

Excellent Book! I have read it twice. We don't do everything exactly by the book, but there are so many good principles that we have tried to utilize. And I KNOW they have helped all my babies be such good sleepers and stay on such great schedules. Sticking to your routine is definitely key. And spacing out the feedings will help too. I always try to concentrate on getting a FULL feeding everytime instead of just "snacking." If he starts to fall asleep, I take him off and make sure he is good and awake and then continue to make sure he gets the hind milk. Mine were all on a 4 hour nursing schedule during the day within about a month old, and sleeping through the night really quickly (Micah 6 wks, Titus 3 months, Caleb 3 wks). And I know it is so hard to listen to them cry, but it really does work. It has never taken more than a week for my boys. I'd be happy to talk to you about it more if you want.

Sadie VK said...

I'm all about crying it out. I had no problem doing it with Chase and Lyla. But I'm interested to see how I feel about it with my own child. I'm sure it's much more difficult to listen to your own baby cry! No advice, just wanted to commiserate. Hang in there!

Rachel said...

Thank you all for the great comments! You're making me feel much better. I just hope he adjusts quickly.

Sadie: I did it with the baby I took care of with no problem, so I expected it to be easy with Orion... HA! Hopefully you can start right away and won't have as much of a problem. Read Baby Wise if you haven't already!!!

Unknown said...

We did the crying it out thingy with Ben at bedtime. It only took a few nights.